PUHSD Governing Board Approves Recommendation to Re-Name Suns-Diamondbacks Education Academy

Posted by Community Relations on 3/18/2015

When Governing Board member Linda Abril struggled to complete high school in her youth, the last thing she ever imagined was that a school would one day be named after her, years later. The Phoenix Union Governing Board on March 5, approved a recommendation to re-name Suns-Diamondbacks Education Academy to Linda Abril Education Academy when the small alternative school moves to a newly constructed building for the 2016-2017 school year.

The school, which began in 2001, has helped hundreds of students at risk of dropping out, make up credits and earn diplomas through an accelerated, targeted and personalized approach. With the success and popularity of the school, it has outgrown two leased locations, and will move into its own building located on the Metro Tech High School campus. Suns-Diamondbacks currently has over 200 students, and with graduations each semester, almost 1500 students have earned their high school diplomas there.

Abril has been a champion of alternative schools during her 20-plus years on the Governing Board. She is the third-longest serving board member in the 120-year history of Phoenix Union, serving her sixth term. She was appointed to the Governing Board in May of 1994 and won elections in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 2010 and was unopposed in 2014 representing Ward 5 in the northwest part of the District. Abril’s ward includes Alhambra, Maryvale and Trevor Browne High Schools. She was Board President in 2011-2012 and in 2002, and was the Board Clerk three times, totaling eight years In her tenure, she has worked with five superintendents and 25 different board members.

This is the third Phoenix Union School named after a governing board member. Trevor G. Browne High School was named in 1972 after Trevor G. Browne, M.D., who was a school board member from 1946-1970. Alternative school Bostrom was named after the Reverend William D. Bostrom, who served on the school board from 1960-1978.