• Trig


    Trigonometry Dual Enrollment Math 182 

    Instructor: Dawn Garling

    E-mail: dmaxwell@phoenixunion.org    

    Web site: http://phoenixunion.org//site/Default.aspx?PageID=2729

    Room 726

    Phone number: 602-745-7500 x- 47753

    Office hours: Mon.-Fri. 7-7:50AM or by appointment

    Period 1

    Yearlong class meets Mon.-Fri.


    Course Information

    Course Description

    A study of measures of angles, properties of graphs of trigonometric functions, fundamental identities, addition and half-angle formulas, inverse trigonometric functions, solutions of trigonometric equations, complex numbers and properties of triangle solution

    Official Course Competencies

    Students will be able to:

    1. Identify a trigonometric function. (I)
    2. Use the definitions and properties of trigonometric functions to solve problems. (I)
    3. Find the length of an arc. (II)
    4. Determine the area of a sector. (II)
    5. Find linear and angular velocity. (II)
    6. Determine the graph and period of a trigonometric function. (III)
    7. Evaluate inverse trigonometric functions. (IV)
    8. Verify trigonometric identities. (V)
    9. Solve trigonometric equations. (VI)
    10. Use trigonometric formulas to solve application problems. (VII)
    11. Find nth roots of complex numbers. (VIII)

    Schedule of Topics:

    Semester 1


    Chapter 1: Right Triangles and Introduction to Trigonometry

    ·       Pythagorean Theorem

    ·       Special Right Triangles

    ·       Basic Trigonometric Functions

    ·       Solving Right Triangle Equations

    ·       Measuring Rotation

    ·       Applying Trig Functions to Angle of Rotation

    ·       Trig Functions of any Angle

    ·       Relating Trig Functions

    About 5-6 weeks

    Chapter 2: Graphing Trigonometric Functions

    ·       Radian Measure

    ·       Applications of Radian Measure

    ·       Basic Trig Graphs

    ·       Transformations of Sine and Cosine

    ·       Graphing Tangent, Cotangent, Secant and                    Cosecant

    About 5 weeks

    Chapter 3: Inverse Trigonometric Functions and Trig Identities

    ·       Basic Trig Inverse Functions

    ·       Graphing Trig Inverse Functions

    ·       Inverse Trig Function Properties

    ·       Fundamental Identities

    ·       Proving Identities

    About 5 weeks



    Chapter 4: Trig Identities and Equations

    ·       Solving Trig Equations

    ·       Sum and Difference Identities

    ·       Double Angle Identities

    ·       Half Angle Identities

    About 5 weeks

    Chapter 5: Triangles and Vectors

    ·       Laws of Cosines

    ·       Area of Triangles

    ·       Law of Sines

    About 5 weeks

    Chapter 6: The Polar System

    ·       Polar Coordinates

    ·       Graphing Polar Coordinates

    ·       Converting between Systems

    About 5 weeks

    Course Materials and Structure


    The textbook used for this course:

    CK-12 Trigonometry- Second Edition; Fortgang, Hayes, Landers, Jordan, Meery, Ottoman




     Trigonometry Text



    • A or B grade in regular Algebra 3-4
    • C or higher grade in Algebra 3-4 honors
    • C or higher grade in College Algebra



    A graphing calculator (TI-84) or DESMOS will be used. Cellular phone calculators will be permitted during an exam but in testing mode only, also sharing calculators during an exam will not be permitted.

    Problem Solving/ Homework/ Participation (30%)

    Each student is expected to come to class and participate. Attendance is mandatory. You will be given problem sets each day. You are expected to work the problem sets as a group but must hand in your own work. If you miss class, you will not receive your problem sets or credit for that class. Homework is assigned daily and due the next class period.


    Exams (75%)

    You will take three unit exams per semester along with a midterm and final exam

    Course Expectations

    • You are expected to complete all assignments on time.
    • You are expected to attend every day.
    • You are expected to take all exams on the scheduled day and time.

    How to Succeed in this Course

    • Make time for math every day.
    • Make the most of your class time.
    • Stay on track.
    • Attend every day.
    • Turn in all homework assignments on time.

    Grading System:

    First semester end of term exam will be a midterm worth 10% of your semester grade. The remaining 90% will come from Quarter 1 and Quarter 2. Semester two the final exam will be comprehensive over the whole year and be 10% of your semester grade. The remaining 90% will come from Quarter 3 and Quarter 4. For dual enrollment students final college grade will be the average of semester one and two.


    Test/Quizzes------------------------------------- 75%


    Scale:                  A            90% - 100%

                                B            80% - 89

                                C            70% - 79%

                                D            60% - 69%

                                F            Under 60%

    Title I Program:

    Academic tutoring and test preparation is available to all students. Additional support for passing classes and graduating on time is the intent of these services.  Support through Title I funding is available in the areas of: math, reading and English.  If interested, please contact the Principal Ms. Avalos or Assistant Principal for Instruction Dr. Williams for additional information at (602) 764-7502

    Make-up Policy:

    Assignments are due as directed by the teacher and will be given 100%.  Late homework will be accepted up until the unit exam. After the unit exam late work for that unit will not be accepted. All missed tests and quizzes must be made up.  Students have one day to make up work for each day absent.


    “Absent” is defined as nonattendance in an assigned class or activity for more than one-half of the period. (PUHSD Governing Board Policy J-1561 JHR) “Tardy” is defined as not being in the assigned class or activity when the tardy bell has finished ringing. (PUHSD Governing Board Policy J-1561 JHR)Students may fail the class for the semester in any course, when reaching a total of 12 excused/unexcused absences and after school-documented interventions have been exhausted. (Student Procedures Handbook page 22)

    Dual Enrollment Credit Attendance policy: 

    Since full and active participation is essential to success in this course, full attendance is required. Students are not allowed to miss more than six (6) class periods per semester (excused or unexcused). Upon the 7th absence, you will lose college credit. Note: If a student is suspended (whether on campus or off campus) the days will count against his/her overall attendance.

    Disability Statement: The College will make reasonable accommodations for persons with documented disabilities. Students should notify Student Services and their instructor of any special needs.

    Sexual Harassment:  Sexual harassment is any unwelcome, verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature that is sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive that it alters working conditions and creates a hostile environment or reasonably interferes with, limits, or deprives a student of the ability to participate in or benefit from any educational program or activity.

    Electronics:  Other than a graphing calculator, all electronic devices should be turned off while you are in the classroom unless directed by the instructor. 

    Disclaimer:  The course content may vary from this outline to meet the needs of this particular group




     Plans for Success


    Need extra tutoring at home on your assignments or missed a lesson? Check out these educational websites.