Welcome Parents and Students!
I'm excited to be teaching here at North High School. This is my 24th year of teaching, and I'm happy to be working at a school that believes in preparing students to be college or career bound. Please e-mail me any time you have questions or concerns as that is the quickest way for me to communicate with you. During the school week, please allow 24 hours for a response as I usually check my e-mails in the morning and may not see your e-mail if it arrives in the afternoon. Thank you for your support and understanding.
- Room # 30LA
- Office Hours - I am here until 5pm Monday through Thursday and until 3:30 pm on Fridays. I am also available during MAP period and before school from 7:20 until the first bell rings.
- I am here to help my students become successful readers and writers. I am happy to work with students at their convenience, and I encourage parent communication as I believe having parents and teachers on the same page ultimately helps students to understand the expectations we have for them.
- In order to be successful, students must show up on time for class and be prepared to work. Students who use their class time wisely will find they have less questions, confusion, and homework than those students who goof off in class. I can't grade air, so it's crucial for students to turn in assignments.
- I accept all late work, but the longer you wait to turn something in, the less it's worth. Also, it's much easier to stay on track than to try and play catch up.
- World Literature - 1st nine weeks we focus on Asia 2nd nine weeks we focus on Middle/South America, 3rd nine weeks we move to Africa, and the last 9 weeks we'll be looking at European literature, specifically Russian literature.
- If you are looking at grades, it is important to know that a "1" is a visual indication to me that an assignment has been turned in, and I've seen it, but returned it to a student to be fixed/finished. If there is no grade visible, I have not graded the assignment yet. If I've graded the assignment for the class, and there is a grade of "0" it means that the assignment is MISSING, and needs to be turned in as soon as possible!
I'm looking forward to a great school year with you!
Athena L. Kalia