April 15, 2019
The graduating class of 2019 at Desiderata Alternative Program is actively preparing for the day. With multiple meetings, preparing for life after high school, and celebratory events the staff and students are looking forward to the next five weeks.
April 1, 2019
Student Government is actively preparing for the 2019 Small Schools Prom being held at Linda Abril High School on Saturday, April 20, 2019.
August 13, 2018
On September 8th the Phoenix Union High School District (PUHSD) is excited to work with other community partners for the 2018 Disability Forum and Expo, to be held at Alhambra High School. There will be a kids zone with activities, pinata making craft table, door prizes throughout the day, and a durable medical equipment give-away for families who have no insurance. The following workshops will be presented:
· Strategies for creating an effective IEP
· Understanding the SSA disability process & benefits
· Vocational Rehabilitation
· Ticket to Work
· Youth Transition panel
· Caring for your loved ones
· Positive behavior management
· Taking back your neighborhood
UPDATE: February 25, 2019
The No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001 states that any school that receives funds for educationally disadvantaged students (Title I funds like Desiderata) must inform parents if their child is assigned a teacher for four or more consecutive weeks who is not "highly qualified" under NCLB.
According to the No Child Left Behind law, a "highly qualified" teacher is one who:
1. Has obtained a Bachelor's degree or higher;
2. Has obtained full State certification; and
3. Has demonstrated competency in the core academic subject area(s) that he/she teaches by passing a content area test or enough hours to be equivalent to a major (24 semester hours). The core academic subjects are English; Reading or Language Arts; Mathematics; Science; Foreign Languages; Social Studies (Civics, Government, Economics, History, Geography) The Arts (visual arts, Drama, Music).
All teachers at Desiderata Alternative Program have obtained a Bachelor's degree or higher and are fully certified through the State of Arizona. Please read attached notifications below.
September 1, 2017
Over 30,000 students and staff paused for a Moment of Peace and Unity on Friday, September 1, 2017 at 11am. Students joined hands to form a heart while listening to the Desiderata poem and snippets of infamous speeches.
Monday, April 22, 2019
School Bus Drivers Wanted!
Join the team bus drivers at Phoenix Union! We offer competitive wages up to $18.47 depending on experience plus a signing bonus! We also offer full benefits, personal leave time, paid holidays and more! For more info go to www.phoenixunion.org/jobs or call 602.764.1612.
WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY: The Phoenix Union High School District is committed to ensuring accessibility of its website for students, parents, and members of the community with disabilities. We strive to ensure our websites conform to the W3C/WAl’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, Level AA Conformance.
To request assistance or report a problem related to website accessibility, please contact email@example.com or 602-764-1528. If applicable, please include the web address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered.