Statements of Intent for 2021-2022
Phoenix Union Colleagues,
The Statement of Intent (S.O.I) process is now open for the 2021-2022 school year! This process is used to propose a new course, additions/changes to the PXU course catalog.
Submitting an SOI in the spring is a new procedure. Historically, SOI takes place in the Fall semester and course changes or new courses begin the following school year. In order to provide teachers and schools adequate time to complete the application, communicate with stakeholders, allocate staffing, develop curriculum and set up any structural needs, the SOI process has moved up to the Spring so campuses can have approximately a school year to prepare.
Please note the 2021-2022 submission deadline is March 20, 2020.
Statement of Intent Committee
The 2021-2022 Statement of Intent Committee will meet this spring to review new course submissions, revisions, name changes, or deletions. Criteria for evaluation will include how the proposed additions, changes or deletions will:
- Affect current courses/programs already approved in the course catalog
- Crosswalk to the Student-Teacher Course Connection interface required by ADE
- Align to state standards
- Create opportunities for college enrollment
- Meet approval or acceptance guidelines by the Arizona Board of Regents and/or NCAA clearing house
Updates in Application
The application has been updated and is requesting that you provide alignment to state standards, identify any similar courses in the PXU course catalog and research if the course currently approved by the Arizona Board of Regents and/or NCAA clearing house.
When a course request is unique to a campus, the initiator of the course will need to work directly with the campus Unit Chair and Campus Committee to present the course and have a review at the campus level. It is important that you know when your campus committee meets so you can submit the SOI for review. Your campus Unit Chair can assist you with this.
To be considered a complete proposal, the initiator must complete the Microsoft 365 Proposal Form and Verification Form. The signed Verification Form will be scanned and shared using a OneDrive link and is required for all submissions. Please find all necessary documents and links on the PXU Curriculum.
If you have any questions or need assistance with the SOI process, please reach out to your school leadership or the Office of Student Learning at 602-764-1324.
Professional Language, Proc. 2-5
STATEMENTS OF INTENT-
- Prior to implementation of a new course or course title change, a written proposal shall be
submitted to the Statements of Intent Committee as part of the curriculum development process
and shall include the following information:
- Goals and Indicators.
- Delineation of the staff needed to include:
a.The number of teachers needed
b.The department from which each teacher shall be assigned
- Any additional qualifications/certification required.
- The number of released periods, if any, requested for the Program Manager or others within
the program and why the release periods are needed.
- Suggestions made by the Campus Committee regarding approval of, or modifications to be
the written proposal, if the proposal is initiated at the campus level.
- The analysis of new courses shall include the impact of such courses on facilities, personnel,
equipment, budget, and existing programs before such courses are approved.
- When a new course is contemplated for implantation on a campus or campuses, consideration
shall be given to its impact on each campus as outlined in B. The curriculum and methods of
course evaluation shall be detailed, with the course subject to approval by the appropriate
- Courses which have been approved through the Statements of Intent process and adopted by the
Governing Board shall be evaluated following their initial year of implementation and a report
submitted to the Statements of Intent Committee. The committee will recommend continuation,
modification, elimination, or adoption as part of the regular program of study to the Chief