HABITS OF MIND COMMON CORE ENGLISH PRACTICES
I RESPOND TO THE VARYING DEMANDS OF AUDIENCE, TASK, PURPOSE AND DISCIPLINE
- I adapt my communication in relation to audience, task, purpose, and discipline.
- I set and adjust my purpose for reading, writing, speaking, listening and language use as warranted by the task.
- I adapt my tone, nuances, and connotations of my words to affect meaning.
- I know that different disciplines call for different types of evidence.
I COMPREHEND AS WELL AS CRITIQUE
- I am an engaged, discerning, and open-minded reader and listener.
- I work diligently to understand precisely what an author or speaker is saying.
- I question and assess the veracity of claims and the soundness of reasoning of an author’s or speaker’s assumptions and premises.
I VALUE EVIDENCE
- I cite specific evidence
- I use relevant evidence when supporting my own points in writing and speaking, making my reasoning clear to the reader or listener.
- I constructively evaluate others’ use of evidence.
I BUILD STRONG CONTENT KNOWLEDGE
- I engage with a wide range of works of quality and substance.
- I am proficient in new areas through research and study.
- I read purposefully and listen attentively to gain both general knowledge and discipline-specific expertise.
- I refine and share my knowledge through writing and speaking.
I COME TO UNDERSTAND OTHER PERSPECTIVES AND CULTURES
- I appreciate learning and working with people from widely divergent cultures who represent diverse experiences and perspectives.
- I actively seek to understand and communicate clearly with people of varied backgrounds.
- Through reading world, classic and contemporary literature, I can vicariously inhabit worlds and have experiences much different than my own.
I USE TECHNOLOGY AND DIGITAL MEDIA STRATEGICALLY AND CAPABLY
- I employ technology thoughtfully.
- I acquire useful information efficiently and I integrate what I learn online with what I learn offline.
- I am familiar with the strengths and limitations of various technological tools and mediums.
- I select and use tools best suited to my communication goals.
I DEMONSTRATE INDEPENDENCE
- I am a self-directed learner, I evaluate and comprehend complex text.
- I construct effective arguments and convey multifaceted information.
- I independently discern a speaker’s key points, request clarification and ask relevant questions.
- build on others’ ideas, articulate my own ideas, and confirm I have been understood.
- I demonstrate command of standard English and acquire and use a wide-ranging vocabulary.